How to Get Started on Zujava: Our FAQ, Article Requirements, and Other Questions
Welcome to Zujava!
We're glad you could join us at Zujava, where you can create your own personal page on any topic you could ever dream of.
This page will point you towards the Zujava FAQ and other help topics that writers new to the site will find useful.
- What is Zujava? Zujava is a website that allows you to create your own original articles for free. Share your passions about any topic, and earn a royalty!
- Does it cost money to make a Zujava article? No way! It's completely free to use Zujava. If anything, you'll be making money here, not giving it to us.
- How do I build a page on Zujava? First, create an account by clicking "join." Fill out your profile information, then get started on your first page on Zujava by clicking "create page." The Zujava format was created to be a super easy way to create attractive pages that can be published online on the topics you know about. Pages with unique, useful, and/or though provoking content tend to perform best on Zujava and the web in general.
- Who should build pages on Zujava? Writers of all types are welcome at Zujava. We encourage stay-at-home moms, Dads, bloggers, professionals, authors, athletes, artists, entrepeneurs, experts, musicians, poets, pet lovers, travelers, college students, nonprofits, wives, husbands, military personnel, and people of any type to create content here. Everyone's different and everyone has a different take on the world. Zujava gives you the perfect opportunity to share your passions on topics that interest you!
- What is the Petting Zu? It's a program we put into place to ensure high quality on the site. Basically, you have to write three great leaves and have your account reviewed by staff in order to be published on Zujava. Read more.
- What if someone already created a page on the topic I want to write about? There's no rule about writing about the same topic. Write your own original content, and just never copy (even yourself) and you should be fine.
- Is there a limit to the number of pages I can create? Absolutely not! Create as many quality pages as you'd like here on Zujava. We just ask that you adhere to our article requirements.
- What is the ideal size for the introduction image?
We scale and crop introduction images down to 250 x 250p pixels. You should make sure you image is square, and we will do the rest!
- Can you write in languages other than English? Zujava would like all of its content to be written in English. Why? We consider ourselves an English speaking website, and things can get hairy with moderating Zujava leaves in other languages.
- How many outbound links can you have per leaf? Each page is limited to 10 outbound links, though there are exceptions to the rule. Some trusted domains, like Wikipedia, Zazzle, CafePress, Ebay, Amazon, Google, Yahoo, and flickr, can have unlimited links pointing to them from your leaves. Once you publish 10 leaves on Zujava, this limit will be lifted.
- How do I add Google Analytics tracking to my Zujava account? This tutorial on setting up a Google Analtyics account will walk you through setup for the first time, and will also show you the proper spot to add your tracking code in your Zujava account (hint: it's in the bio!).
- Why can't I find my leaf by searching on the site, or on topic pages? In order to ensure a speedy web site for visitors (and improve SEO), the Zujava site uses page caching. This technology dramatically speeds up the browsing experience for visitors, but can cause delays from changes being seen by the public immediately. It can take up to three hours for a newly published article to appear throughout the site, on listing pages, and in search.
- What are your terms of service? Please read through our terms of service here.
- How do you pronounce Zujava? It's pronounced Zoo-Java, like java beans. Mmm, coffee.
- Are there an unlimited number of Amazon sections you can add to a leaf? Yes, but you must include 50 extra words per Amazon section.
- Can we use the Zujava logo and other artwork from the website to promote Zujava? Yes! While we maintain full copyright of the original work, you can use these on your own sites to promote your referral link, Zujava leaves, or the site in general. We ask that the artwork not be skewed in any way (mainly, that it isn't stretched).
- Why don't you have a giant ASCII art "ZUJAVA" at the top of the HTML source code of every page? We are determined to make Zujava leaves load as quickly as possible. That means every byte we return to the user's browser is precious, and we don't want to waste a single character that isn't used for rendering your content.
- A minimum of 400 words per leaf. This is to ensure your page has a fighting change in search engines. Pages with fewer words than this tend to be glossed over by search engines.
- An introduction photo a must. Readers love an engaging photo, so add a properly licensed picture to your introduction to increase interest.
- A minimum of one section (content module) per leaf, which is in addition to the introduction.
- Introductions must be at least 75 words.
- For every Amazon section added to your leaf, the minimum word count will be increased by 50 words. You are allowed one Amazon section at no word count increase (400 words).
- The leaf must abide by the Zujava content policy. Please read the content policy in order to see which topics we don't allow here on Zujava.
Just sign up, fill out your payment details, and start creating content. Depending on traffic numbers, sales numbers, social interaction, and a number of other factors, your page can fall into three buckets. These buckets determine how much money your article will make. Zujava articles make money from Google Adsense ads and Chitika ads, as well as any Amazon sections you add to your page. These ads are automatically displayed when you publish a leaf, you have to do nothing other than enter the email account associated with your PayPal account on your dashboard.
Nope! Ad revenue is shared 50/50, so all you have to do is fill out your payment details and add your PayPal account.
Currently, we offer Amazon.com as the sole affiliate program, in addition to earnings through Adsense and Chitika.
Amazon affiliate earnings will be put into the ad pool during BETA. We will begin directly compensating authors on a leaf by leaf basis, attributing Amazon earnings to individual leaves on May 1.
We do not currently have an Ebay affiliate program partnership, but we are working on it. By using our Ebay sections, you are helping drive traffic to Ebay, which in turn can help speed along an affiliate partnership with Ebay.
Easy. You'll just need to copy the ASIN number into an Amazon section. Learn how here:
Sign up for a Paypal account if you haven't already, and add the email account associated with that PayPal to your payment details on Zujava. Ad revenue will be paid out 60 days from the current month. So, revenue earned in the month of October will be paid in December.
At Zujava, there are many ways to create valuable content. Zujava does not claim ownership of the content you place on your pages. The content you place on a page is owned by you, or the third party that you had permission to post the content. The author is fully responsible for all content placed on pages they create, not Zujava. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information placed on Zujava. We do not prescreen content, but reserve the right to remove content for any reason, including content that others may find objectionable or that violate the Zujava Terms of Service. Zujava also does not take responsibility for any advice given or actions taken as the result of a Zujava article.In short, whatever you post on Zujava, you are responsible for.
Ads are automatically placed on every Zujava leaf that you publish. The earnings from these ads are dispersed among the writers of the website come payday, depending on the ZQ rank of your articles.
You will be paid every 30 days on the 15th of the month. Earnings will be paid out 60 days from when they were earned.
As an example, earnings from the month of May will be paid out in July, and earnings from September will be paid in November. Our first every payout occurred on May 15, 2012.
The ZQ is the ranking system here at Zujava that determines the overall number of your Zujava leaf (article). If the current number of your leaf is #35, then your leaf is #35 overall on Zujava.
How is the ZQ determined? It will be determined by number of likes, traffic, and other factors.
The ZQ is updated daily.
The highest number, #1, is the best scoring leaf on Zujava. If you have a low ranking leaf, that doesn't mean your leaf is bad, it just means there's not much social activity and traffic yet. Try updating the leaf and promoting it on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or your blog!
You can find the top 100 leaves on Zujava on this list.
You should publish your leaf as soon as you think it's ready for the world to see. Leaves published in the middle of the month will not qualify for that month's payout. In other words, the leaf must exist by the first of the month in order to receive payment. However, your leaf will earn money the next month if it has performed well (see the ZQ ranking part of this page for more information). Start promoting, editing, and adding new content to your leaf to boost traffic, likes, sales, and interaction for next month!
In text sections you can use the following HTML tags:
<a>, <div>, <p>, <img>, <strong>, <br>, <span>, <em>, <cite>, <code>, <blockquote>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>, <dl>, <dt>, <dd>
All common CSS styles are allowed. However, we will remove any non-standard or mal-formed CSS.
Additionally, we only allow specific attributes on certain tags:
- <a> href, target, title, rel
- <div> align, style
- <p> align, justify, style
- <img> width, height, src, style, alt, title, align, border, hspace, vspace
- <strong> style
If there are other attributes you need, just let us know. If there aren't any security risks, we can likely add them.
For more information on why we restrict content (and why it's so important), check out Important Changes to Content Formats.
Maintaining a level of excellence on Zujava
The Petting Zu was created to maintain a higher level of quality on Zujava. All new accounts created will be in the Petting Zu until they graduate.
Read more about the program here:
How often do the stats update?
We have a rolling process that updates the traffic stats on leaves about every 24 hours. Your stats won't always update at the same time of day, but they should never be more than 24 hours old. If they are more than 24 hours old, kindly contact support.
How can I access the stats for a leaf?
Log into Zujava and open any of your leaves. Mear the top of the leaf you will see tabs for View, Edit, etc. Click the Stats tab to access your leaf stats.
What does "Source" mean?
"Source" refers to the non-Zujava.com page the user clicked a link on to arrive at any page on Zujava.com (not necessarily your leaf). See the Google Analytics definition of referral for more information.
What is a Keyword?
A "Keyword" is a significant word or phrase associated with your content. This most commonly means these are the search terms people use to get to your content, but not always. See the Google Analytics definition of of keyword for more information.
Where can I find out more about leaf statistics?
We wrote a blog post called Understanding Leaf Stats that goes into a little more information about how we collect these stats. If you have any questions or concerns, kindly contact support.
All of the content on the leaves you create belong to you. Not us, you. That content will always belong to you.
If you have not graduated from the Petting Zu and have placed content on Zujava that has not been published, you are free to take that content (since you own it).
If you plan on publishing content on Zujava that was once published elsewhere, we don't allow this type of content here. That also goes for any type of content that was already published in newspapers, articles, ebooks, or magazines, whether you have permission to republish that content or not.
On Zujava, we'd only like to see completely original content that has not yet seen the light of day. For more information, please read:
Zujava pays earnings to writers on two and half months after the close of a month (see this blog post for details). Here is the upcoming payment schedule:
|January 2013||April 15, 2013|
|February 2013||May 15, 2013|
|March 2013||June 15, 2013|
|April 2013||July 15, 2013|
|May 2013||August 15, 2013|
|June 2013||September 15, 2013|
|July 2013||October 15, 2013|
|August 2013||November 15, 2013|
|September 2013||December 15, 2013|
|October 2013||January 15, 2014|
|November 2013||February 15, 2014|
|December 2013||March 15, 2014|
Last updated February 24, 2012