Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
This is a very easy recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Cake. This cake is a pineapple lovers delight. Pineapple Upside Down Cake sounds like a hard cake to make but it's not, it's very easy and only requires a box of yellow cake mix and a couple small ingredients that you probably already have on hand. Pineapple Upside Down Cake is best made in a cast iron frying pan because it keeps the butter from burning, and it caramelizes the brown sugar better. To make a gluten free Pineapple Upside Down Cake, make this recipe with a Betty Crocker gluten free yellow cake mix.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a sweet tangy, buttery, caramelized cake. This is a delicious "any time" cake but I traditionally serve it as a Thanksgiving dessert too. I like to serve a scoop of vanilla or pineapple ice cream with it...yum!
What you will need to make a Pineapple Upside Down Cake:
- 2/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large can of pineapple chunks or chunks of fresh pineapple
- Box of yellow cake mix
- Optional: Splash of dark rum
I know it sounds strange but the best way to back this cake is in a cast iron skillet. Some of the best Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipes suggest making it in a cast iron skillet. Although, I'm sure you can use a cake pan but I personally have never used one to make a Pineapple Upside Down Cake. The cast iron skillet helps to caramelize the brown sugar perfectly.
- Preheat over at 400 degrees.
- Melt the butter in the skillet over med-low heat.
- Add the brown sugar and a little splash of the pineapple juice from the can. If you are going to add the optional splash of dark rum, add it now.
- Stir the ingredients in the pan until it starts to dissolve and bubble a little bit and then turn off the heat.
- Layer the pineapple oven the ingredients in the pan, covering as much of it as you can; set it aside while you make the cake.
- Make the cake according to the directions on the box.
- Carefully transfer the cake mix over the top of the fruit in the skillet; even it out with a spoon.
- Put the skillet in the over; bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes. The cake is done when it turns light brown, is bubbling around the edges and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Let the Pineapple Upside Down Cake cool for no less than 10 minutes. After 10 minutes take a knife and loosen up the cake around the edges. Place a large plate over the top of the skillet (make sure the plate is larger than the skillet) and turn it over so the cake comes out onto the plate.
Photo Source: Personal Photo
This pineapple slicer peels, cores and slices an entire pineapple in seconds. It makes perfectly-shaped rings. Create one slice at a time or cut up the whole pineapple at once.
Buy in bulk and save with this 24 can pack. Dole Pineapple Chunks are great for baking and topping, and they make a delicious healthy anytime snack that can be eaten right from the can.
Purchasing cast iron cookware is worth the investment. They are made to last for generations and are virtually indestructible. Because of their superior ability to retain heat, cast iron cookware can be used over almost any heat source, such as the stove, oven, BBQ and campfire.
You can also make Pineapple Upside Down Cake from scratch instead of using a boxed cake mix. Here is a video with instructions for making a pineapple upside down cake from scratch.
Perfect for transporting your pineapple upside down cake!
These carries are great for transporting, serving and storing cakes, cupcakes, muffins and other desserts. They are collapsible, which is great for saving storage space.
Sturdy, collapsible and dishwasher safe! This carrier can hold both cakes and cupcakes. It will hold up to 24 cupcakes with enough headroom to prevent the frosting from smashing. Remove the top tray and you'll have plenty of room for a 3 tiered cake.
This versatile carrier has an inside tray that is removable, so you can use it to transport and serve other foods too and not just deserts. This sturdy carrier will collapse down to half its height, making storage convenient.