Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
This is a very easy recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Cake. This cake is a pineapple lovers delight. Pineapple upside down cake sounds hard to make but its not, it's very easy and only requires a box of yellow cake mix and a couple small ingredients that you probably already have on hand. Pineapple Upside Down Cake is best made in a cast iron frying pan because it keeps the butter from burning and it caramelizes the brown sugar better. To make a gluten free Pineapple Upside Down Cake, make this recipe with a Betty Crocker gluten free yellow cake mix.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a sweet tangy, buttery, caramelized cake. This is a delicious "any time" cake but I traditionally serve it as a Thanksgiving dessert too. I like to serve a scoop of vanilla or pineapple ice cream with it...yum!
What you will need:
- 2/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large can of pineapple chunks or chunks of fresh pineapple
- Box of yellow cake mix
- Optional: Splash of dark rum
I know it sounds strange but a cast iron skillet is the best way to make this cake. Some of the best Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipes suggest making it in a cast iron frying pan. Although, I'm sure you can use a cake pan but I personally have never used one to make a Pineapple Upside Down Cake. The cast iron pan helps to caramelize it perfectly.
- Preheat over at 400 degrees.
- Melt the butter in the skillet over med-low heat.
- Add the brown sugar and a little splash of the pineapple juice from the can. If you are going to add the optional splash of dark rum, add it now.
- Stir the ingredients in the pan until it starts to dissolve and bubble a little bit then turn off the heat.
- Layer the pineapple over the ingredients in the pan, covering as much of it as you can; set it aside while you make the cake.
- Make the cake according to the directions on the box.
- Carefully transfer the cake mix over the top of the fruit in the skillet; even it out with a spoon.
- Put the skillet in the over; bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes. The cake is done when it turns light brown, is bubbling around the edges and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Let the Pineapple Upside Down Cake cool for no less than 10 minutes. After 10 minutes take a knife and loosen up the cake around the edges. Place a large plate over the top of the skillet (make sure the plate is larger than the skillet) and turn it over so the cake comes out onto the plate.
Photo Source: Personal Photo
This pineapple slicer peels, cores and slices an entire pineapple in seconds. It makes perfectly-shaped rings. Create one slice at a time or cut up the whole pineapple at once.
24 cans! Buy in bulk and save!
You can also make Pineapple Upside Down Cake from scratch instead of using a boxed cake mix. Here are the video instructions.